Britannica Online provides users with a quick and easy way to collect research materials. You can save many types of information from Britannica Online, including encyclopedia articles, images, videos and media, quotations, essays, and Web sites. Whether you are doing a research project or just need quick access to important information, you can log into your Workspace from school, home, or the library.
Creating a Workspace
• To create a Workspace, click “Workspace” in the Britannica header.
• Enter a username and password to create your Workspace. Be sure to make note of the username and password you choose.
Saving to your Workspace
• Items can be saved from the search results page or as you are viewing an individual article or other item.
• Click the “SAVE” button next to or above an item to save it to your Workspace. Enter the name of the project, and click OK. If you’ve already created a project, click the drop-down list and select the project from the list.
• There is no limit to the number of items you can store in your Workspace. You can save as many items as you like. Be sure to click the “Save” button to save your Workspace after adding more materials.
• The Workspace is saved on Britannica’s servers, so it does not consume your own storage space.
• If you have several projects or classes, you can create a different Workspace for each one, each with its own username and password. There is no limit.
Opening and Retrieving a Workspace
• To access a Workspace, click “Workspace” in the Britannica header.
• Then click the “Open My Workspace” tab of the log-on screen. Enter your username and password, click OK, and your Workspace will appear. You can add more items or make other changes. Be sure to click the “Save” button after making any changes.
• If you are viewing someone else’s workspace (like your teacher’s), and you only have the username, click the “See a Shared Workspace” tab of the log-on screen. Enter the username, click OK, and the Workspace will appear. You can view items in the Workspace, but you cannot make any changes.
• Your Workspace will be available for the next 12 months. As long as you save changes to your Workspace, it will always be available another 12 months.
Organizing your Workspace
Once you have saved items in your Workspace, you can arrange it the way you want.
Create projects using the buttons at the top.
• Click “Add Project” to add new projects to your Workspace.
• View a different project by selecting the project name in the drop-down list in the upper left.
• Click “Rename Project” to change the name of a Project.
• Click “Delete” to delete a project and all of its contents.
Manage items using the buttons in the right column.
• Click “Copy” to copy an item to another project.
• Click “Delete” to delete an item from that project.
• To move an item between projects, first copy it to the new project and then delete it from its original place.
Be sure to click the “Save” button after making your changes.
Share your Workspace
Now that you’ve created a Workspace, you can share it with others. For example, teachers and professors can share a Workspace with students, librarians can share with patrons or students, and students can share with each other. There are different ways of sharing.
• Give your Workspace username to someone and they can log in using the “See Shared Workspace” tab. They will be able to view all materials but they will not be able to make any changes.
• Link to your Workspace from a Web page. People will be able to view all materials but they will not be able to make any changes. Choose the proper link below and enter your workspace name where it says yourworkspace.
K-12 School: http://school.eb.com/workspace2/retrieveWorkspace?wsname=yourworkspace
College & University: http://search.eb.com/workspace2/retrieveWorkspace?wsname=yourworkspace
Public Library: http://library.eb.com/workspace2/retrieveWorkspace?wsname=yourworkspace
• Click “Email” to email a Workspace project to a friend. They will be able to view the materials but they will not be able to make any changes.
• Click “Print” to create a printer-friendly version of a Workspace project.
• Click “Export” to export a Workspace project to a spreadsheet.